post-surgery instructions | Peoria IL
1. After leaving this office, rest and avoid strenuous activities for the remainder of the day.
2. Taking the following as directed for the first few days will reduce the discomfort greatly.
_____ 3 tablets (600 mg) of ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®) every 6 hours for 2-3days
_____ 2 tablets (1000 mg) of Extra Strength Tylenol® every 6 hours for 2-3 days
_____ 1 tablet of Aleve® every 8 hours for 2- 3 days
3. Apply an ice bag or cold compress to the outside of your face over the operated area. Apply ice for 10 minutes, and then remove applying only finger pressure for 10 minutes. Continue this alternating application for the first 4-6 hours only. This will minimize swelling and discoloration.
4. Eat soft foods for the first 24 hours, BUT avoid chewing in the operated area until the sutures are removed.
5. Brush all of your teeth after each meal. In the area of the operation, take care to avoid touching the sutures. Do not use a Water Pic®, no Listerine®/Scope®, no flossing, until directed otherwise.
6. Beginning on the day after surgery, gently rinse your mouth with a solution of ½ teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water for 2 to 3 minutes after each meal. Do not rinse vigorously. Perform for at least 7 days.
7. Rinse with ORIS® rinse starting the night after surgery. Rinse for 30 secs after breakfast and before bedtime. Continue twice per day for a minimum of 7 days.
8. Do not lift or unnecessarily exercise your lip in order to prevent accidentally tearing the sutures and opening the incision.
9. Return to this office for suture removal as directed.
WHAT TO EXPECT FOLLOWING SURGERY
1. Some discomfort may be expected. If aspirin, Tylenol®, or ibuprofen does not provide adequate relief, prescribed pain medication may be taken as instructed.
2. There may be some swelling and discoloration present for 3-5 days following surgery.
3. Slight bleeding may be present during the first 24 hours. This is normal and you should not be alarmed. Excessive bleeding should be reported to the office